Developing a Social Media Plan
The following prompts are intended for organizations seeking
to develop an effective Social Media Plan. In this context, a
Social Media Plan acts as a comprehensive roadmap for the
initiation, sustainment, or enhancement of social media in support
of emergency management and public information operations.
This application builds upon the
Building a Social Media Business Case
application, which helps users implement a new social media
emergency management (SMEM) program or improve an existing
program through enhanced planning. Users that are considering
implementing a SMEM program for the first time should start
Prior to creating a comprehensive Social Media Plan,
communicate how a Social Media Plan will support
the agency's overall mission and strategy to key
decision makers and consider:
- In what ways do you need your leadership to support Social Media Plan development and implementation (e.g. time, financial resources, advocacy)?
- What is your leadership’s level of familiarity with social media (e.g. frequent user or novice)?
- What is your leadership’s estimated level of involvement in agency SMEM operations to date (e.g. high or low)?
- How will leadership’s level of involvement affect their understanding of agency SMEM operational decision making?
- What risks or fears do your agency’s leadership express about using social media?
- How will a new or updated Social Media Plan address those risks or fears?
For more information on strategies to obtain and sustain
leadership buy-in, refer to the accompanying
Social Media Plan Guide.